The Omega Constellation Jumbo 14777


For those who enjoy the heady rush of the chase, the ‘Jumbo’ model 14777 Omega Constellation has the potential to have your adrenal glands a-gushing. Be prepared to endure the infusion of brain chemicals that feed and reflect frustration though, because finding one will not be easy.

The calibre 561 model 14777, at 37mm diameter with 19mm lugs is the forerunner to the Jumbo 168.001, and like its successor was produced for mainly the Japanese market. The case shape is very similar to both the 168.001 and the 14393.


In the Omega Far Eastern collection for two years, the earliest of these models was produced in 1961 and will have late 18 million and early 19 million serial numbers. The 1962 production models will bear serial numbers in the later 19 million range. The case back stamps will show 14777 61 SC and 14777 62 SC and carry the Central Boites tombstone maker’s stamp.

Dials were domed and offered plain and cross-hair versions. They were produced during Omega's short-lived experiment with the elimination of "Officially Certified" from the upper case script.

While I wouldn’t rule out the cases having been produced in solid gold, the six examples I have seen over the span of my collecting experience have been either stainless steel or 200 micron gold capped.  I have spotted a couple of examples over time with Beads of Rice bracelets attached to 19mm end pieces.


While Japan and surrounds is perhaps not as tropical and humid as some South-East Asian countries, do expect to see more examples showing signs of dial degradation than in pristine condition.  The two 14777s shown were both located in Japan, which is the best source for inventory, although they have migrated and been offered for sale in Korea and the U.S.


Are these models rare? I’d start with uncommon, and move onwards from there.  Few surface, and examples in immaculate condition are very hard to find.   

17 comments:

  1. I Own an omega constellation that needs to be repaired. Does someone knows a reputable place where I can send it to get it fixed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends where you live. I would tend to avoid Omega service centres and opt for a local, independent watchmaker who has worked with Omegas over time.

    Regards

    Desmond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:17 pm

    hello!
    Great watch! I iown one in stainless steel, pie pan, very elegant watch!
    could you precise the bracelet numbers, i think it would be help a lot of people including me!!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father gave me his Omega Constellation that looks exactly like the one on this picture but with 18k gold band. I live in Orange County, CA and would like to get it appraised to possibly sell it at a reputable place. Would you know of any place? The case says Swiss Made No 1401.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elena

      Just post your email address. I wont publish it, but will email you.

      If you would like to send me some photographs I can tell you about the watch. Was it purchased in South America? If so it may have different case markings.

      Cheers

      Desmond

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:55 pm

    Hi there any idea how many of there were produced. I just got one in SS but with a curtain/ribbon dial. Do omega have any documentation on dial variants. Tks, Banner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely dial. I have tried to ascertain numbers produced but as far as I know the Omega Museum does not have records of production run. I assume that the number is comparatively small though because of the specific market for which they were produced. I’ve seen at least four dial styles including two fancy styles of which yours is one.

      Very nice find!

      Cheers

      Desmond

      Delete
  6. I have an omega watch like the one that appears in the publication

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    any advice if there is any jumbo for sale?
    and what would be the price for a gold and SS in a fair condition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably in the vicinity of 1000USD for an example in reasonable condition. For those examples with more exotic dials and sharp cases, anything up to 1500 USD and sometimes more.

      Cheers

      Desmond

      Delete
  8. Desmond: awesome info on your site, thank you.
    Is it possible to have a 14777-62-SC with a 561 serial 20.7? Seems like that would be a later movement put into the watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment.

      Hmm, the case is a 62 production, but Omega bought in quantity and kept inventory, and so I think a 1963 produced cal 561 isn't a worry.

      So I think you're good to go.

      Cheers

      Desmond

      Delete
  9. Hi Desmond,

    Thanks for the blog! A real treasure trove of info.

    Recently I came across what looks like a black dialed Jumbo Constellation ref. 168.001. Was wondering if you had seen any black dialed ones before.
    From the pix, they seem to pass the MOY test but i can't say i have seen any black jumbo before.

    Thoughts on this? I can share pix if you have an email for me to send to.
    Thanks
    Rgds,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey,

      Thanks for your post.

      I'm wondering if perhaps you've stumbled on a redial, as I have never encountered a black dialed 168.0001.

      As a watch that went to the Orient mainly, I would be a tad skeptical about a dial of that colour going there.

      Love to see some pics. Email click through is on RH column profile.

      Cheers

      Desmond

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:11 am

      Ok Have sent the pix. Would love to hear your opinions on the watch. Thanks Desmond

      Delete
  10. Arthur2:37 pm

    Thanks, Desmond. Very helpful. Just recognized my new watch. Happy to learn that this is an uncommon reference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Arthur, you are a member of a very select group indeed!

      Enjoy your acquisition.

      Cheers

      Desmond

      Delete